esmaspäev, 8. juuni 2015

Irish names

I thought that I can speak English without big problems, at least understand it quite well. Yes, that was before I went to Dublin and started to be a part of a big, loud, joyful and continuously talking Irish Family. It's not just their accent, that I have already started to figure out, it's more because they are always speaking about someone who met someone who had talked to someone whose granny had been in some unpronounceable place with someone who she met when she was travelling from one unpronounceable place to another, where she met her twelve cousins, whose names don't make any sense at all, who are now living in several other unpronounceable places with their wives and children whose names are also not quite understandable for me. It doesn't help too much if you look these names up on the map, because even if you could remember their pronunciation, you never find them, because they are written totally differently and without any sense.

That's why I like to look up all these pronunciations and names and read the stories behind them. The best illustration for that is Lee Mack talking about Irish names.


And now please tell me once more if you write your name Niamh, why do you tell that you are Niiv and if you really are, why don't you write just one v into your name. 

Until I don't get it I keep reading one of my favourite web-pages about the names and their stories IRISH BABY NAMES.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar